Intro to Meiosis with a comparison to Mitosis
Amoeba Sisters Videos:
This is a fun and creative activity to tie all of the following concepts together into one lesson:DNA sequencing & transcription,mRNA translation,amino acid codons & proteins,genotype,phenotype,recessive & dominant alleles & traits.
Students will help solve a crime based on DNA evidence left on a lollipop at the crime scene.There are 3 versions of the same scenario that will identify 3 different criminals so you can use them for 3 classes – this avoids having the kids tell the next class who the suspect is ;).Each student will receive one of the 4 DNA samples – you can have students work individually,or have a group of students work on suspect 1,another on suspect 2,etc.(Sorry – I do not have an answer key to post)
Directions: Worksheets:DNA-RNA-Crime-Snorks-2018&Amino Acid Codon Wheel,& additional resource:20 Amino Acids
- Step 1– students will transcribe the DNA sequences into mRNA sequences
- Step 2– using the Amino Acid codon wheel,they will determine the amino acid for each codon
- Step 3– using the chart,they will find protein using the sequence of amino acids
- Step 4– using the proteins,they will determine the phenotype
- Step 5– using the phenotypes,they will determine the genotype(s)
- Step 6– is their suspect the criminal?
- Step 7 –they will draw a mug shot of their suspect using the phenotypes they decoded
This lesson was modified from the one found on Biology Corner: https://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/DNA_snorks.html
Updated 11.25.18 – click links for most updated versions:
I made these cheat sheets for my 7s to help them with our Meiosis and DNA unit.These are two of the most complex topics we cover in Life Science and it helps them synthesize all of the information into one page.
Download these free PDFs below:
DNA Cheat Sheet – 2017 – Google Docs– this covers the fundamentals of DNA at a 7th grade level
Meiosis Summary Cheat Sheet – 2017– this covers the basics of Meiosis along with a comparison to Mitosis at each stage for a 7th grade level